There are many ways to prepare the recipes we need for the brachot on Rosh Hashanah. Most people say brachot on pomegranate, tongue, apples, these are standard. Sephardim have more: halu, or candied squash, and lubya, black-eyed peas. There is also Sylit and Krafseeya. I will share these recipes with you. Know that there is no one way to prepare a recipe. For example, you can prepare the Lubya as vegetarian, not meat. You can make leeks into mini egeh or simply cook it in onions. People prepare Krafseeya and Sylit in different ways. There is no right or wrong way to cook. There are Syrian, Moroccan, Persian and Lebanese varieties of the same or similar foods. Cooking is an adventure.
Candied Spaghetti Squash or Halu
- 3 C sugar
- 1 C water
- 1 sm. lemon-squeezed
- dash of salt
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out seeds and place open side down on baking sheet. Bake one hour in preheated 350 degree oven.
- Mix the sugar, water, lemon and salt in saucepan and simmer cook on low flame until thick.
- Scoop out the squash with a for tine, so that it is like spaghetti. Squeeze out all the liquid.
- Add squash and mix. Stone in jar in refrigerator.