Cherry Pistachio Slice Cookies
- 2 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ C vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ C cranberries, chopped
- 2 oz. dark chocolate chopped
- ½ C pistachios, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and oil until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture in 3 batches. Stir in cranberries and chocolate.
- Divide dough in half, form into two logs, 2 inches by 8 inches; wrap in plastic wrap and freeze, 1 hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Spread nuts on a cutting board; roll logs in nuts.
- Slice logs into 20 slices each and arrange on baking sheets. Press cookies lightly. Bake until golden, 8 to 9 minutes; transfer to wire rack. Makes 40 cookies.
- 1 C softened butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS water
- 2 ¾ C all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-oz semisweet chocolate, grated (1/3 cup)
- Cream butter with sugar. Beat in egg, lemon peel, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into creamed mixture.
- Stir in semisweet chocolate. Shape into two 9-inch rolls. Wrap plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.
- Slice in ¼-inch slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen.
French Palmiers with Puff Pastry
- 1 puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 1 C sugar mixed with 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 C chopped walnuts or almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread half of the cinnamon mixture on flat surface. Place puff pastry on top of the cinnamon. Sprinkle more cinnamon mixture on top. Using a rolling pin roll the puff pastry until double the size. The idea is to roll the cinnamon mixture into the dough.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the puff pastry. Tightly roll the puff pastry from short end to the center where you unfolded the puff pastry sheet. Do the same on the other side. You will have two rolls meeting in the center. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Slice the puff pastry into 1/4 inch pieces and place flat on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake 8 minutes. Carefully turn over and sprinkle with more cinnamon mixture. Bake another 7 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Palmiers will be slightly golden and crispy when removed from the oven.
Yield: 24 cookies
Photos above by Mark Greenberg