Mediterranean Chickpea Bowl with Pistachio Rice
1 red onion, half diced and half in wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 lemon, zested
8-10 grape tomatoes, halved
½ C basmati rice
1 TBS butter or olive oil
2 TBS pistachios, finely chopped
1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp shwarma spice*
4 TBS sour cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In 1 qt pot, melt butter over medium heat, add the diced red onion, half the pistachios, half the garlic and 1 tsp shwarma spice. Cook and stir for 2 min, add ¾ C water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook 15 min until rice is tender.
On baking sheet, toss red onion wedges with tomatoes, chickpeas with large drizzle of olive oil Mix in 1 tsp shwarma spice, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 15 min. Remove from oven and toss with lemon zest.
Optional sauce: Mix sour cream with remaining garlic and salt. Stir in 1 tsp water and mix to drizzling consistency.
Fluff rice and add cilantro and 1 TBS butter (optional). Divide among 2 bowls. Top with vegetables and chickpeas. Sprinkle with juice from lemon. Drizzle with garlic sauce, if desired.
*Shwarma spice is made from equal parts: cumin, garlic powder, paprika, coriander, black pepper, and allspice.
Tagine Apricot, Almond and Chickpea with Basmati Rice
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 dried apricots, diced in small pieces
1 oz sliced almonds
½ C Basmati Rice
1 TBS Tunisian Spice
1 lemon, zested and juiced
4 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
4 TBS sour cream
Salt and pepper
In 1 Qt saucepan, drizzle olive oil over medium heat. Add ½ of the onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add ¾ C rice, and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a bowl, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook until water is evaporated, about 12 min.
In fry pan, heat drizzle of olive oil. Halve the zucchini lengthwise and slice crosswise into half moons. Add to pan with remaining onion and sauté until slightly browned, about 8 min. Add 1 tsp Tunisian Spice, remaining garlic and salt to taste. Cook 2 more min.
Add 1/3 C water to pan with chickpeas. Bring to simmer and let liquid reduce slightly. Add 1 TBS butter, juice from lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
Fluff rice and stir in 1 TBS butter; Add salt and pepper to rice. Divide rice into two bowls. Top with vegetables, almonds, and apricots. Sprinkle with parsley and.
Optional: Combine sour cream, salt and lemon zest. Mix and add 1 tsp of water at a time to get desired drizzle consistency. Drizzle over tagine.
Tunisian Bulghur Carrot Bowls with Orange Parsley Vinaigrette, Feta and Almonds
3 carrots, peeled and sliced on angle
½ C bulghur
4 srigs parley, finely chopped
5 tsp red wine vinegar
3 oz fresh spinach
½ oz slivered almonds
1 TBS Tunisian spice*
½ orange, zested, juice half orange and peel and dice the other half
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and peppe
½ tsp sugar
½ C feta cheese
1 oz dried apricots, diced
* Tunisian spice is made from ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chili powder, and 2 TBS ground coriander, 2 tsp ground caraway, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On baking sheet, drizzle carrots with olive oil, salt and ½ tsp Tunisian Spice. Roast on top rack for 18 min
- In 1 Qt saucepan, combine apricots, bulghur, salt and 1 C water. Boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Cook until water is absorbed, about 10 -12 min. Remove from heat, uncover and cool slightly.
- Make vinaigrette: add vinegar, mustard, half of the parsley, 2 TBS olive oil, ½ tsp sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk.
- Place spinach in bowl and drizzle with half the vinaigrette. Toss well. Fluff bulghur and add to spinach with half the feta. Toss to combine.
- Divide bulghur salad in 2 bowls. Top with carrots, almonds, diced orange and remaining feta. Sprinkle with parsley and chili flakes (optional, as it adds heat).
Chickpea Tabbouleh with Feta Dressing
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Harissa powder
- Olive oil
- ¼ C bulghur or couscous
- lemon, zested and juiced
- a roma tomato, diced
- few fronds dill, diced
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- ¼ C feta cheese
- Scallions – 2 sliced
- 4 TBS sour cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Toss pepper and chickpeas on baking sheet with drizzle of olive oil, ½ tsp harissa powder and salt.Roast on top rack of oven for 12 – 15 min
In 1 qt saucepan, add 1 C water, ½ tsp harissa powder, and bulghur. Bring to bowl, simmer covered for 10 min or until water is absorbed, Remove from heat.
Whisk together sour cream, dill, feta and 1 TBS olive oil. Add 1-2 tsp water to get to drizzle consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In medium bowl, put juice from lemon, 2 TBs olive oil, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk. Add bulghur, tomatoes, scallion whites, cucumber and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Toss together and divide into 2 bowls. Top with peppers and chickpeas and scallion greens. Drizzle with feta dressing.