I have been cooking for days and now have all my brachot prepared. Rosh Hashanah is just days away. Are you ready? Never! There are always 101 little details to attend to. today is the day I shopp for fruits and veggies. Yes, because some things - like avocado and melons need to be at the exact stage of ripeness for serving.
A quick reminder that there are many recipes on the holiday page of the website, including menus. Please take a peek.
This recipe for Sylit (Spinach with Veal) was my mother's. The oregano and zatar are the secret ingredients. The veal can me replaced with stew meat or simply deleted. The flavor will be different but delicious just the same. It is the last of my brachot recipes I will share with you. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. meat lean veal), cut into small pieces
- 4 TBS oil
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp oregano
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cloves garlic
- zatar to taste
- Using a 3 qt. stainless steel saucepan, heat oil and steam meat covered until cook thoroughly, about 20minutes.
- Add chopped spinach, allspice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mince garlic into egg and beat well. Pour over spinach and mix rapidly.
- Simmer, covered over low flame, stirring occasionally. Add zatar to taste.