Sarina’s Sephardic Cuisine app includes over 160 easy to follow recipes, photos and video links to demonstrations.
Passover Dough and Lahamagene
Easy Peasy Passover Dough
I have been staring at this dough recipe for as long as I am married but never made it until this year. In the early years of my marriage, I went to others for Passover. When I started making seders, I felt like I needed to make it easy on myself.
This recipe is my mothers and it was so easy, I could kick myself for not using it sooner. I froze the dough and used it for lahamagene – those scrumptiously delicious Syrian meat pies, and mini pizza, which we ate as snacks.
2 C matza meal
1 C cake meal
2 ½ C water
2 TBS oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Mix together. Roll between 2 sheets of parchment paper and us a glass or cookie cutter to make circles.
One recipe of the dough yields about 40-50 circles.
- 3 lbs. lean chopped meat, uncooked
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 4 medium onions-chopped fine
- 3 TBS kosher salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 C tamarind sauce
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 7 tsp. allspice
- juice of one lemon
- ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Sprinkle salt on onions and let rest, then squeeze all water out of onions.
- Add onions and remaining ingredients to meat.
- Put meat on dough and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Photos above by Mark Greenberg